Sunday, September 16, 2012

Attributes of an eventer

One of the theories I found interesting was the Attribute Theory. It is true that it is the attributes of the products more than the products themselves. In the book they mentioned how Apple was the leader in computer sales, until Windows '95 came out, rivaling Apple's easy system. They were able to improve and offer newer attributes with their colorful '98 iMac. And let me tell you, that candy colored iMac is what changed me forever. My dad had always bought me HP laptops, but when I first saw the '98 iMac, I knew I had to have it. I had never seen a computer like it. For my birthday I received a green iMac and have never left the Apple brand. As a designer, the Apple operating system keeps on improving on their attributes, which is why I stick with their brand.

Two weekends ago I went to visit North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland. I participate in a sport called Eventing and have my goals set on competing in the Olympics one day, and flew north to find my next horse. While some people would say 'a horse is a horse' that is not true when you are looking for an athlete. There are so many attributes you have to look for when you are looking for an eventer. They need to be a good mover, brave, a nice and tidy jumper, they need to have speed and good confirmation. It is all these attributes that I have had to consider before purchasing. But to blend in with the ways of human nature, there is a natural feeling when you get on the horse meant for you. It doesn't matter to me if the horse has perfect confirmation, if I get on and I don't feel that connection, then I'll pass. It is in our nature as a rider to want that strong connection with a horse. Maybe our indian ancestors wanted that same connection with their horses. Maybe it's why our ancestors of war always wanted the strongest horses to be their partner in battle.

Here is an interesting read about some politically incorrect truths of human nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment